Facts About Elopement
- Almost half of all people with autism have a tendency to elope (wander). In general, this increases with the severity of autism.
- The risk of elopement increases during warm weather, holidays, and travel.
- 58% of parents rate elopement as the most stressful of autism spectrum disorder behaviors.
- 62% of families report being prevented from attending or enjoying activities outside of the home.
- 40% of families report chronic sleep loss as a result of worrying about autistic elopement.
- Of the deaths associated with autistic elopement, 92% of victims will be found in water.
Dementia/Alzheimer’s and Elopement:
- 45% of dementia-related elopement occurs within the first 48 hours following a move to nursing home or assisted living care.
- 80% of cases were known to be chronic wanderers with prior elopements.
- 89% are found within a mile of home.
- 31% of nursing home dementia patients will wander. Between 25% and 70% of community-dwelling dementia patients will wander.
- 79% of dementia-related elopement incidents results in death.